Operations Manager (Drug Discovery)
What's the role and how do you fit in?
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines to bring new treatments to the patients who need them. With locations in London, Cambridge, New York and Belgium, it is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early drug discovery to late stage clinical development.
BenevolentAI has a portfolio of drug programmes from early discovery through to clinical development which use a suite of advanced artificial intelligence and data analysis tools to accelerate progress and improve decision making. Our projects rely on close collaboration between internal drug discovery experts, our computational platform teams and, frequently, a range of external collaborators including academic leaders, contract research organisations and suppliers.
In this drug discovery operations manager role you will work closely with experts from drug discovery, finance and legal across our locations to play a central role in helping advance our programmes forward quickly and efficiently. Using your scientific background and experience managing complex projects and networks of collaborators, you’ll build strong relationships with a range of internal and external groups to seek out and implement new ways to improve project performance and delivery to allow our AI-assisted projects to move towards the clinic ever faster. A core part of this role is liaising and negotiating with external vendors to further our procurement activities. Previous purchasing and procurement experience in this area would hence be a massive advantage.
Within this new role at BenevolentAI you will have the opportunity to shape and make the role your own in a high energy, vibrant and fast-growing organisation.
This role will be based at our London headquarters in the heart of the Knowledge Quarter.
What will you be accountable for?
- Using your scientific insight and project management experience to support a portfolio of drug discovery projects to help them advance more quickly and efficiently
- Working very closely with internal project teams and experts to understand their needs and collaboratively agree best plans to enable delivery of scientific goals of moving our drug programmes towards and into clinical development. You will work closely with scientists and other experts based at our London & Cambridge research sites
- Working with external groups including universities, biotechs and CROs to put in place and monitor mutually beneficial and productive collaborations and relationships
- Looking for and implementing ways to improve efficiency at both the individual project level and portfolio level in areas including co-ordination, collaborations, data management and logistics.
- Helping drive for the best value in our contracts and agreements with collaborators and suppliers to combine scientific quality, speed of delivery and value for money
- Working with R&D leadership to help track the performance of our portfolio including budgetary and scientific status
What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need?
- Strong science background and direct experience of managing complex scientific projects involving multiple groups across different locations
- A PhD level qualification or equivalent experience in a biological sciences discipline
- Commercially astute with an ability to negotiate contracts to give best combination of quality and value
- Prior experience of working with and providing support to a range of scientists and project teams in an academic group, biotech or CRO environment across areas including biological target identification, assay development, screening, drug molecule optimisation or related scientific areas.
- Formal project management training (eg PRINCE2, APM, RPP-type) would be an advantage
- Wide experience of dealing with a range of scientific collaborators and suppliers through different types of agreements including research collaborations, fee for service, MSA set-up and strategic relationships
- Highly proactive in identifying solutions to issues and predicting where opportunities for improving processes may arise in the future
- A strong desire to succeed through others and to enable a range of groups to be successful
- Excellent relationship building skills to quickly understand the needs of all internal and external teams and collaborators
- Strong attention to detail with completer-finisher mindset
- Familiarity with and high ability to use wide range of computational applications for project and data tracking and to look for novel data solutions to streamline work
- Strong stakeholder management and motivated by customer satisfaction
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to multitask
- You are a proactive individual with excellent problem-solving skills and a focus on solutions willing to challenge the current way of doing things
- Strong communication skills - able to communicate with both technical and non-technical people to understand their needs and agree strategies and plans
- You should be fun to work with and thrive in a fast-moving environment with scope for significant autonomy to help project teams
- Expert user with a good depth of application knowledge of applications which may include MS Project, Excel and other data/finance tracking tools
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines. It is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early discovery to late stage clinical development. The company is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Belgium.
The ‘Benevolent Platform’ is a unique machine intelligence technology system built to mine new knowledge from vast quantities of biomedical data, propose treatments and design drugs to enable its world leading scientists to bring new treatments to patients faster.
We are working on applying tech to real problems, and see real outcomes and the fruits of our labour by working on a meaningful mission. We do our job ‘Because it matters’ and live by the philosophy that unconventional thinking together with purposeful technology can have an impact on humanity.
The working environment is agile and we work in cross functional teams. We encourage a culture of learning, developing and challenging the status quo to foster dynamic, entrepreneurial behaviours, innovation and a ‘fail fast’ mentality.
Alongside all of this we can offer excellent benefits (learn more at https://benevolent.ai/careers/), a global reach and the ability to work with the best talent in the industry.
Please be advised that we will hold and process your Personal Data for continuous recruitment purposes (this is irrespective of your success in this application or not) in line with vital regulatory requirements. Under GDPR/DPA2018, you have the right to be informed, access, restrict, correct or ask us to delete your Personal Data. More details available on our Privacy Notice (https://benevolent.ai/privacy/).