Data Manager | biomedical and clinical
What's the role and how do you fit in?
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines. It is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early discovery to late stage clinical development.
You will lead the stewardship and management of the large quantities of data that form a core part of BenevolentAI’s drug discovery machine learning work. Applying your extensive experience in managing biomedical and clinical data, you will design and oversee processes for ingesting, cataloguing, storing, tracking and serving data, particularly individual-level datasets. Working closely with the systems engineering and compliance teams, and using your deep knowledge of the relevant legislation and regulations you will ensure that data storage, access and use, within all our processes are fully compliant. In all you do, your primary goal will be to enable and facilitate the work of our AI and drug discovery teams. In close collaboration with our scientific teams, you will draw on your expertise to deliver creative, robust solutions to their needs, and will be an integral member of the team delivering our data acquisition strategy.
What will I be accountable for?
- Enabling - work with data users to acquire, store, access, use and manipulate the highest quality data for their work in AI and drug discovery.
- Overseeing - have a clear view of all data ingested, stored and used within BAI.
- Building - design and implement engineering and process solutions for compliant ingestion, storage, access, use, and retention of data; design, implement and maintain a metadata-rich catalogue of all datasets
- Stewardship - lead the implementation of measures to ensure BAI is a responsible user of data; understand the regulatory and legal environment of responsible, compliant and lawful use of data; understand the licencing terms of acquired data and ensure adherence to these throughout the use of the data; participate in the negotiation of access agreements.
- Planning - plan strategically for the future to ensure processes, engineering systems, catalogues and metadata are built and maintained to enable ongoing use, and to allow for efficient expansion of the data resource.
- Learning - work closely with experts in ML, AI and drug discovery to learn how they interact with data, to understand their scientific needs and collaborate with them to deliver creative solutions of the highest quality.
- Adapting - be adaptable and creative
What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need?
- Bachelors or Masters degree in data science, data engineering, or a related discipline.
- Excellent data management/data science skills across a range of data types, formats and purposes.
- Extensive experience of working with biomedical and clinical data, including sensitive personal data; experience of handling sensitive patient data in cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud).
- Experience and working familiarity with current data stewardship standards, including ISO 27001, Data Protection Act 2018, HIPAA.
- Talented communicator, comfortable with discussing complex topics with cross-disciplinary and non-expert teams.
- Skillful negotiator who is skilled in identifying contrasting needs and working towards consensus solutions.
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines. It is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early discovery to late stage clinical development. The company is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Belgium.
The ‘Benevolent Platform’ is a unique machine intelligence technology system built to mine new knowledge from vast quantities of biomedical data, propose treatments and design drugs to enable its world leading scientists to bring new treatments to patients faster.
We are working on applying tech to real problems, and see real outcomes and the fruits of our labour by working on a meaningful mission. We do our job ‘Because it matters’ and live by the philosophy that unconventional thinking together with purposeful technology can have an impact on humanity.
The working environment is agile and we work in cross functional teams. We encourage a culture of learning, developing and challenging the status quo to foster dynamic, entrepreneurial behaviours, innovation and a ‘fail fast’ mentality.
Alongside all of this we can offer excellent benefits (learn more at https://benevolent.ai/careers/), a global reach and the ability to work with the best talent in the industry.
Please be advised that we will hold and process your Personal Data for continuous recruitment purposes (this is irrespective of your success in this application or not) in line with vital regulatory requirements. Under GDPR/DPA2018, you have the right to be informed, access, restrict, correct or ask us to delete your Personal Data. More details available on our Privacy Notice (https://benevolent.ai/privacy/).