Medicinal Chemistry Team Leader
What's the role and how do you fit in?
BenevolentAI harnesses artificial intelligence to accelerate scientific discovery by making sense of highly fragmented information to develop new medicines for hard to treat diseases, using AI as a force for good. Valued at $2bn in 2018, we are the largest independent AI company in the world.
At BenevolentAI, we are reimagining the way drugs are discovered through the use of AI. As a key part of our Chemical Sciences team, you’ll make important contributions to our Lead Optimisation projects, utilising AI to drive down cycle times and identify the best compounds for progression into the clinic. In this lab based role you will bring your deep understanding of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery to rapidly move projects forward.
We have a range of drug discovery programmes ranging from exploratory work through to phase II clinical studies. Our portfolio of projects covers areas including, motor neurone disease, Parkinson’s disease, various cancers, rare diseases and many others. We are one of the top 5 biggest private AI companies in the world and have raised over $200M in funding to drive our research based out of our sites in London, Cambridge & New York. As a Senior Drug Discoverer within BenevolentAI, you will make important contributions across our portfolio of current projects within our laboratories based at the Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge.
What will you be responsible for?
- With a strong medicinal chemistry background you will be responsible for leading teams of chemists working on lead optimisation projects to identify high quality drug molecules to advance to clinical studies.
- You’ll work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology & clinical sciences as well as machine learning, engineering, cheminformatics & bioinformatics technologists.
- A key aspect of the role will be the efficient design and synthesis of novel molecules making use of modern practical methods and AI tools and the analysis of biological data coming from the testing of these molecules.
- You will work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and on multiple projects with changing priorities and deadlines.
- We are constantly looking for new ways to improve the drug discovery process so your proactive and positive problem-solving mindset will allow you to contribute strategically and implement ideas to drive new ideas forward.
- You will work closely with colleagues from our London, New York & Belgium offices as well as external collaborators.
- Direct supervision of others will form part of the role and matrix leadership of cross-functional teams may also be required.
What skills, experience and qualifications will you need to succeed in this role?
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area
- Experience in industrial setting applying medicinal chemistry expertise to the successful advancement of drug discovery projects to important milestones.
- Track record of significant contributions to shaping project strategies and successfully delivering progress to answer key scientific questions. Previous project leadership experience would be an added advantage.
- Previous line management experience and the ability to motivate and develop team members is essential.
- A broad knowledge of synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry and strong practical laboratory synthesis skills.
- A good awareness of current and emerging state of the art technologies and strategies within synthetic chemistry as applied to drug discovery. Experience of using modern automated synthesis, purification & analytical equipment.
- You’ll have a strong ability to critically analyse and act upon complex datasets across eg synthetic chemistry, biological data, AI predictions and many other areas evidencing creative thinking
- Examples of using novel data analyses or AI approaches in compound design or progression would be an advantage.
- Wide experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary drug discovery & development teams - excellent communication skills and flexible style.
- You'll be comfortable and thrive in a flexible, fast-moving project environment.
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines. It is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early discovery to late stage clinical development. The company is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Belgium.
The ‘Benevolent Platform’ is a unique machine intelligence technology system built to mine new knowledge from vast quantities of biomedical data, propose treatments and design drugs to enable its world leading scientists to bring new treatments to patients faster.
We are working on applying tech to real problems, and see real outcomes and the fruits of our labour by working on a meaningful mission. We do our job ‘Because it matters’ and live by the philosophy that unconventional thinking together with purposeful technology can have an impact on humanity.
The working environment is agile and we work in cross functional teams. We encourage a culture of learning, developing and challenging the status quo to foster dynamic, entrepreneurial behaviours, innovation and a ‘fail fast’ mentality.
Alongside all of this we can offer excellent benefits (learn more at https://benevolent.ai/careers/), a global reach and the ability to work with the best talent in the industry.
Please be advised that we will hold and process your Personal Data for continuous recruitment purposes (this is irrespective of your success in this application or not) in line with vital regulatory requirements. Under GDPR/DPA2018, you have the right to be informed, access, restrict, correct or ask us to delete your Personal Data. More details available on our Privacy Notice (https://benevolent.ai/privacy/).