Site Reliability Engineer
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, creates and applies AI technologies to transform the way medicines are discovered and developed. BenevolentAI seeks to improve patient’s lives by applying technology designed to generate better data decision making and in doing so lower drug development costs, decrease failure rates and increase the speed at which medicines are generated. The company has developed the Benevolent Platform™ - a discovery platform used by BenevolentAI scientists to find new ways to treat disease and personalise drugs to patients.
BenevolentAI is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Antwerp. BenevolentAI has active R&D drug programmes from discovery to PhaseIIb in disease areas such as ALS, Parkinson’s, Ulcerative Colitis and Sarcopenia.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will be working alongside our autonomous cross-functional squads. You will advocate high-quality engineering and best-practice in production software as well as providing the infrastructure to both build rapid prototypes and launch production-quality services. You must be a strong communicator who can explain what is required to build and deliver top quality software products. You will be keen to work with the rest of the team and develop collaboratively.
You will promote test-driven-development and other Agile best-practices for ensuring the software is resilient enough for our scientists to rely upon. You will be a core team member building and maintaining the underlying infrastructure that support our AI-driven technology. You will also be adding your input into diverse areas such as authentication, network topology, sharded databases, scalable web services and interfaces to external data sources and APIs.
- Designing the architecture of bare metal and cloud infrastructure in accordance with specification and best engineering practices.
- Ensuring infrastructure availability and reliability.
- Monitoring and handling incident response of the infrastructure, platforms and core engineering services.
- Working together with cross-functional squads to deliver robust infrastructure implementations.
- Continuous improvement of deployed infrastructure and tackling technical debt.
- Constructing pipelines to automate infrastructure deployments.
- Troubleshooting infrastructure, network and software issues.
- Maintaining company’s bare metal and cloud infrastructure.
- Staying up to date with recent technology trends and tools.
- Automating repetitive manual processes and procedures.
We’re looking for someone with...
- Hands-on experience and good knowledge of Kubernetes.
- Excellent understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Compute Engine (GCE).
- Excellent understanding of Linux operating systems
- Good understanding of the AWS shared responsibility model.
- Familiarity with the concept of infrastructure-as-code and tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Helm.
- Experience designing, developing and administering the infrastructure of cloud environments (AWS, Azure, or GCP).
- Extensive knowledge of cloud networking architecture, cloud operations, automation and orchestration.
- Knowledge of network protocols and components such as BGP, TCP, HTTP/S and Load Balancing.
- Knowledge of scalability challenges associated with containers, distributed systems and large-scale web applications.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python or Go.
- Knowledge of quality of service measurement tools (SLIs, SLOs, SLAs).
- Experience with configuring and using monitoring and alerting solutions such as InfluxDB/Grafana/Prometheus.
- Comfortable with on-call rotation.
Who are we?
We have assembled a diverse, exceptionally talented and spirited team to tackle the most pressing and challenging problems at the intersection of artificial intelligence and drug discovery. We bring our ideas and passion for new technology and medicine discover to life by questioning traditional scientific dogmas.
Our core values reflect who we are and how we work and they are so important to achieve our mission: Bring better medicine to patients faster.
Put patients first. Drive to delivery. Break boundaries. Own the solution.
Find out more