Senior Bioinformatics Data Scientist
Bioinformatics Data Scientist
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, creates and applies AI technologies to transform the way medicines are discovered and developed. BenevolentAI seeks to improve patient’s lives by applying technology designed to generate better data decision making and in doing so lower drug development costs, decrease failure rates and increase the speed at which medicines are generated. The company has developed the Benevolent Platform™ - a discovery platform used by BenevolentAI scientists to find new ways to treat disease and personalise drugs to patients.
BenevolentAI is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Antwerp. BenevolentAI has active R&D drug programmes from discovery to PhaseIIb in disease areas such as ALS, Parkinson’s, Ulcerative Colitis and Sarcopenia.
The Biomedical Informatics team is focused on applying bioinformatics techniques to drug discovery and precision medicine. We are keen to hear from experienced Bioinformaticians, with a passion and proven track record of integrating and analysing biomedical datasets, to join the growing Biomedical Informatics department. You will find yourself working as part of a cross-functional team supporting BenevolentAI’s data integration, target identification and precision medicine activities.
- Processing, integrating and analysing biomedical datasets for biological insights that lead to testable hypotheses relevant to Drug Discovery and Clinical Development programmes undertaken by BenevolentAI.
- Developing programmatic tools and workflows that automate the analysis of biomedical datasets
- Working as a member of a cross-functional team, that brings together the best in class Informatics, AI, Engineering, Drug Discovery and Product capabilities to tackle the scientific challenges BenevolentAI is looking to find solutions for
We’re looking for someone with...
- A PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology or related field of research.
- Extensive experience (3+ years, preferably industry-based), of integrating biomedical datasets (e.g ChEMBL, ENSEMBL, UniProt, PDB), which reveal novel biological insights and support Drug Discovery or Clinical Development activities
- Expert programming skills in at least one language. We have a preference for Python, but are also interested in R and Java. Candidates should also be familiar with the language packages that support Bioinformatic, Data Science and Machine Learning activities.
- Proven track record of processing and deriving novel insights from ‘omics datasets and related resources, such as Gene Expression Atlas, GEO, Array Express, TCGA and LINCs
- Experience with using biomolecular network based approaches to aid drug discovery or clinical biomarker development e.g. causal reasoning, pathway mapping and functional module detection.
- Experience in processing clinical data and related data models (e.g. CDISC, OMOP)
- Experience in processing and analysing transcriptomics datasets using Bioconductor packages (e.g. DSeq2, edgeR, Limma) and other related toolkits (e.g STAR, Salmon, Kallisto, WGCNA).
- Experience in using technologies we like, which includes: include Neo4j, GraphQL, BigQuery, ElasticSearch, MySQL, MongoDB, Spark, GitLab, Kubernetes, AWS, KNIME, Jupyter.
- Familiarity with designing experiments to generate data and gain insights into the molecular behaviour of cellular assay systems or patient derived tissues would be considered beneficial
- Familiarity with chemical structure representations and experience in using cheminformatics libraries (e.g. RDKit) would be considered beneficial.
- A strong external network of contacts across industry and academia to engage in ideas and knowledge share.
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, with the ability to influence at all levels and across all departments.
Who are we?
We have assembled a diverse, exceptionally talented and spirited team to tackle the most pressing and challenging problems at the intersection of artificial intelligence and drug discovery. We bring our ideas and passion for new technology and medicine discover to life by questioning traditional scientific dogmas.
Posting Date: 5 September 2019
Closing Date: 4 October 2019
Our core values reflect who we are and how we work and they are so important to achieve our mission: Bring better medicine to patients faster.
Put patients first. Drive to delivery. Break boundaries. Own the solution.
Find out more