Data Scientist, Evaluation, NY
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, creates and applies AI technologies to transform the way medicines are discovered and developed. BenevolentAI seeks to improve patient’s lives by applying technology designed to generate better data decision making and in doing so lower drug development costs, decrease failure rates and increase the speed at which medicines are generated. The company has developed the Benevolent Platform™ - a discovery platform used by BenevolentAI scientists to find new ways to treat disease and personalise drugs to patients.
BenevolentAI is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Antwerp. BenevolentAI has active R&D drug programmes from discovery to PhaseIIb in disease areas such as ALS, Parkinson’s, Ulcerative Colitis and Sarcopenia.
At Benevolent AI, we redesign drug discovery from engineering-first principles. Grounded in data, AI and the life sciences, we build products that enable us and our partners to discover drugs in a faster and more reliable way, to better serve patients with high unmet medical need. The Data Scientist is at the heart of our operations, transforming our data into valuable tools for drug discovery. As a Data Scientist with direct experience in the life sciences, you will play a critical role in defining and measuring our scientific impact on the drug discovery process.
You will apply your skills to rigorously understand and evaluate the quality of our data and algorithms, sometimes using visualization. You will work in cross-functional teams, at the interface between our internal users investigating the biology of disease, and our engineering and AI teams building technology.
You will contribute to developing powerful products for discovering therapies for some of the thousands of diseases that have no treatment today. We are excited for you to come meet the challenge!
- Identify and define key performance indicators of our products, solutions, and pipelines, specifically in our precision medicine area.
- Develop evaluation protocols and frameworks, such as drug program-level evaluation.
- Work with other functions to establish appropriate data quality controls, benchmarks, and meaningful model performance metrics.
- Implement the computation and visualization of performance metrics.
- Engineer solutions in the context of well-maintained and well-documented code bases
- Work directly with users (biologists and chemists) and stakeholders to understand their needs, iterate on solutions and communicate outcomes.
We’re looking for someone with...
- BA or MS in relevant fields, such as Data Science, Computer Science, Systems Biology, Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics, or Computational Biology/Chemistry
- Industry experience as a data scientist (2 years preferred)
- Skilled in Python (specifically, the data scientist toolkit including pandas, matplotlib, seaborn/plotly, Jupyter notebook)
- Good software engineering practices
- Experience applying statistical frameworks to assess product or model performance
- Good scientific understanding of molecular biology and genomics
- Highly motivated to contribute to our mission
- Team oriented, able to thrive in a multidisciplinary environment
- Excellent communicator, especially when it comes to colleagues from other specialties
- Pluses: data visualization expertise, user research experience, strategic planning skills, experience developing APIs, product experience, experience in drug discovery research or the industry
Who are we?
We have assembled a diverse, exceptionally talented and spirited team to tackle the most pressing and challenging problems at the intersection of artificial intelligence and drug discovery. We bring our ideas and passion for new technology and medicine discover to life by questioning traditional scientific dogmas.
Our core values reflect who we are and how we work and they are so important to achieve our mission: Bring better medicine to patients faster.
Put patients first. Drive to delivery. Break boundaries. Own the solution.
Find out more