Translational Health Informatician
What's the role and how do you fit in?
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines. It is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early discovery to late stage clinical development.
As a domain expert in the interrogation of patient-level clinical data (e.g. electronic health records, clinical trial data) in complex disease, you will join a fast-growing team using diverse clinical and biological data to translate analytic findings rapidly to drug discovery programmes. As we ingest increasing volumes of clinical data, you will bring your deep experience of asking important questions in such data to bring value to research programmes. You will join a cross-disciplinary team of experts in machine learning, natural language processing, and drug discovery. You will be instrumental in building and delivering our capabilities for understanding patient subgroups and druggable disease mechanisms using clinical data. You will develop and implement workflows for clinical data analysis, and establish learning from clinical data as a core component of our AI-driven discovery platform.
What will you be accountable for?
- Lead design and contribute to interpretation of results from workflows for interrogation of a range of patient-level clinical data in complex disease, including electronic health records, clinical trials data and survey data.
- Contribute to the integration of clinical data into drug target discovery and validation, and patient stratification projects within Benevolent for precision phenotype-led target discovery and clinical trial design.
- Lead analyses of patient-level data, working with machine learning expert colleagues, for identification and characterisation of patient subgroups defined by cross-sectional and longitudinal clinical features.
- Guide the identification and acquisition of new sources of clinical data.
- Contribute to existing external collaborations and build new relationships.
- Bring expertise in state-of-the-art clinical data ontologies, models and analytic methods, and their practical application.
- Apply your knowledge of information governance to ensure best practice in ingestion and analysis workflows.
About the Team
The Translational Medicine Squad (TMS) works to bring rich patient-level data into the drug discovery programmes within BenevolentAI, integrating them with the AI and developing new analytic methods for network and causal inference. The TMS team incorporates gurus in machine learning, bioinformatics experts, drug discovery leaders, translational medicine specialists and chemoinformatics working together. We have established a number of collaborations with UK and international academic groups and are building several others.
TMS sets its own objectives and goals that following broader objectives of the company, and works closely with other teams and drug discovery programmes at BenevolentAI.
We’ve assembled an exceptionally diverse, talented and high-energy team who sincerely enjoy coming to work every single day to bring their ideas and real passion for new technology and medicine discovery. You will work alongside recognised leaders with vision at the cross section of Machine Learning and Chemistry data, with plenty of interaction with drug discovery researchers.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do you need?
- PhD in health informatics, epidemiology, applied statistics or a related discipline; or, primary medical qualification with extensive experience in health informatics.
- Deep experience in handling and analysing individual-level clinical data from at least two of: electronic health records, clinical trials, longitudinal observational studies.
- Experience in designing and executing analysis of high-dimensional longitudinal discrete and continuous data at the individual patient level.
- Excellent understanding of applied statistical methods for analyses of this type.
- Strong understanding of the role of health informatics in translational research, either in academia or industry.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and cross-functional teams.
- Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, of methods and findings, with ability to influence at all levels and in across departments.
Nice to haves
- Experience in handling and analysing free text health records, including a working knowledge of natural language processing.
- Excellent knowledge of, and practical competence with clinical data ontologies, data models and formats.
- Working knowledge of drug discovery and development
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, is an advanced technology company focused on accelerating the journey from data to medicines. It is the world’s only technology company with end-to-end capability from early discovery to late stage clinical development. The company is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Belgium.
The ‘Benevolent Platform’ is a unique machine intelligence technology system built to mine new knowledge from vast quantities of biomedical data, propose treatments and design drugs to enable its world leading scientists to bring new treatments to patients faster.
We are working on applying tech to real problems, and see real outcomes and the fruits of our labour by working on a meaningful mission. We do our job ‘Because it matters’ and live by the philosophy that unconventional thinking together with purposeful technology can have an impact on humanity.
The working environment is agile and we work in cross functional teams. We encourage a culture of learning, developing and challenging the status quo to foster dynamic, entrepreneurial behaviours, innovation and a ‘fail fast’ mentality.
Alongside all of this we can offer excellent benefits (learn more at https://benevolent.ai/careers/), a global reach and the ability to work with the best talent in the industry.
Please be advised that we will hold and process your Personal Data for continuous recruitment purposes (this is irrespective of your success in this application or not) in line with vital regulatory requirements. Under GDPR/DPA2018, you have the right to be informed, access, restrict, correct or ask us to delete your Personal Data. More details available on our Privacy Notice (https://benevolent.ai/privacy/).