In Vitro Pharmacologist: Assay development and screening
BenevolentAI, founded in 2013, creates and applies AI technologies to transform the way medicines are discovered and developed. BenevolentAI seeks to improve patients’ lives by applying technology designed to generate better data decision making and in doing so decrease drug discovery failure rates, lower drug development costs and increase the speed at which medicines are generated. The company has developed the Benevolent Platform™ - a discovery platform used by BenevolentAI scientists to find new ways to treat disease and personalise drugs for patients.
BenevolentAI is HQ’d in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and further offices in New York and Antwerp. BenevolentAI has active R&D drug programmes from discovery to Phase IIb in disease areas such as ALS, Atopic dermatitis, Ulcerative Colitis and Sarcopenia.
We are looking for a number of innovative and highly creative drug discovery scientists with a background in molecular pharmacology, in vitro biology assay development and screening. These individuals will make significant contributions to our technology-enabled drug discovery programmes, across all phases from novel therapeutic target hypothesis generation through to delivery of a robust pre-clinical data package. As a central member of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team of scientists passionate about reinventing the way new medicines are developed, you will bring your deep understanding of in vitro biological technologies and drug discovery to rapidly move projects into clinical evaluation. Based at the Babraham Research Campus in Cambridge (UK), you will work closely with experts in artificial intelligence, deep learning, informatics, biological sciences and clinical translation/commercialisation to devise creative ways to reimagine the way medicines are discovered.
- With a strong molecular and cell biology plate-based pharmacology background, you will contribute to the identification, development and optimisation of molecular biological, cell-based or enzymatic assays to test novel therapeutic molecules across a range of disease areas, through the application of cutting edge technologies.
- You will be expected to critically analyse and interpret data, define realistic timelines for studies and meet delivery deadlines to execute high impact studies within a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Contribution to external collaborative relationships with academic leaders and contract research scientists.
- Defining experimental plans in close collaboration with project leaders, AI technology experts, bioscientists, clinicians and others to identify optimal molecules suitable for clinical evaluation.
We’re looking for someone with...
- BSc / PhD (or equivalent) in biological sciences or a closely related discipline
- Wide ranging experience (>5 years) across a range of molecular biology (qPCR, siRNA, CRISPR) and in vitro plate-based pharmacological assays and technologies (Endpoint assays, real-time biosensor assays, high content imaging, ELISA etc)
- Extensive experience in the use of data management systems eg Dotmatics, Abase
- Experience in working with primary cell systems, iPSCs or primary tissue would be an advantage
- Evidence of creative thinking and problem solving, confidently applying novel strategies to move projects to important decision points quickly and efficiently.
- Track record of significant contributions to shaping project plans and successfully delivering results to answer key scientific questions, ideally within the drug discovery industry.
- Experience in one or more areas of human disease or mechanistic pathways associated with disease, such as neurodegeneration, inflammation, fibrosis, diseases of aging or oncology.
- Experience of working with Contract Research providers: CRO selection, design & agreement of work plans and analysis of data packages.
- Experience of applying novel approaches to the drug discovery process with the aim to significantly increase the overall efficiency of the journey from hypothesis generation to clinical testing. Examples of using novel data analyses or AI approaches in compound design or screening would be an advantage.
- Experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary drug discovery & development teams, with excellent communication skills and the ability to forge productive relationships and collaborations both internally and externally.
- Experience in direct line or matrix team management would be advantageous
- Evidence of continued learning and acquisition of new skills to constantly develop your drug discovery knowledge.
Who are we?
We have assembled a diverse, exceptionally talented and spirited team to tackle the most pressing and challenging problems at the intersection of artificial intelligence and drug discovery. We bring our ideas and passion for new technology and medicines discovery to life by questioning traditional scientific dogmas.
Our core values reflect who we are and how we work and they are so important to achieve our mission: Bring better medicine to patients faster.
Put patients first. Drive to delivery. Break boundaries. Own the solution.
Find out more